Topics

sticky Which OnStep branch to use

The master branch now has some pretty serious changes and should be avoided unless you are willing to accept that.  I've also upped its major revision, version 5.

Before making those changes to the master I branched off a beta that will most likely become release 4.23, I recommend most users stick with this beta or release-3.16 for the time being.  The beta is here and release-3.16 is here.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 11:28 AM, Howard Dutton wrote:
some pretty serious changes
Oh wow ... mount type at runtime !!!

Maybe we will have gear ratios and steps per degree too? Paving the way to universal binaries and runtime configuration?

Howard Dutton

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 08:41 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
Maybe we will have gear ratios and steps per degree too? Paving the way to universal binaries and runtime configuration?
You never know.

Note that version 5 compiles to a significantly larger size than version 4.x so this leaves the Bluepill STM32F103C8(CB) behind.

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 12:06 PM, Howard Dutton wrote:
You never know.
Awesome ... I will take that as a "yes, in a future version ..."

We don't need to worry about every driver, only 4 types (TMC2310, TMC5160, LV8729 and S109).
The first two can be collapsed into just one type since the 2130 can have current settings from the configuration.
So effectively, we have 3 types only.

Then the USB command would be:

:XX,1,200,32,3,144,1,1#

Axis, motor steps per rotation, microsteps, GR1, GR2, driver model, reverse

That covers perhaps 90% of users (present and future).

Those who want to use other drivers, or other exotic features, can still compile using a Config.h that they modify.

Note that version 5 compiles to a significantly larger size than version 4.x so this leaves the Bluepill STM32F103C8(CB) behind.
Expected, and it is the price of progress.

Got this error: region `FLASH' overflowed by 2416 bytes

Moreover, there are options ...
The Blue Pill F103 has an easy upgrade to the F303CC.
It is hard to get sometimes, but does become available.
Worst case is to use this Github project where someone created an SMD replacement Blue Pill with
an option for the F303CC (there is BOM for that in the project).

The F303CC still has 25% free.
Sketch uses 197820 bytes (75%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes.

andrea tasselli

Howard and al.

It would be nice to have a list of features by major versions, say 3.16, 4.23 and the 5, if at all possible. I can't find anything in the wiki.

Cheers

Andrea

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 01:52 PM, andrea tasselli wrote:
It would be nice to have a list of features by major versions, say 3.16, 4.23 and the 5, if at all possible. I can't find anything in the wiki.

Unfortunately, this does not exist, because it is a burden on Howard to keep a list.

This commit log shows all the changes, but it is way too detailed.
If the version numbers were in the commit message, we can extract the info manually with some effort.
But it is not ...

As for which branch to use:
Forget 5.x now, it is too new and only for adventurous developers.

The main new end user features in 4.x (beta) are Spiral Search, support for additional hardware (R32/CNCv3, F303CC, S6, ...), as well as dew heaters, switches, ...etc.

vld666@...

Hello!
Thanks for the update!
On the device made by you, what pinmap shall I use?

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 02:18 PM, <vld666@...> wrote:
On the device made by you, what pinmap shall I use?
Which device?

Howard Dutton

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 11:19 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
Which device?
Start another topic this isn't the place.

Keith Trivett

Can there be an old version left available for 128k blue pill users in the future. Which is the best version to use with the 128k blue pill?
TIA.

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 02:56 PM, Keith Trivett wrote:
Can there be an old version left available for 128k blue pill users in the future. Which is the best version to use with the 128k blue pill?
The 128K Blue Pill works well with 4.23 (currently called beta).

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 11:56 AM, Keith Trivett wrote:
Can there be an old version left available for 128k blue pill users in the future. Which is the best version to use with the 128k blue pill?
The beta I just created will become release-4.x, that will likely be the last version the 128k Bluepill will run.

@Northwind

Does the new Master branch include the RUMBA board? I'll use whichever version works best with this.

John Petterson

Is there any update on the status of the Master branch?  This information is a month old, I would like to switch to this  version to get the GEM/Alt-Azm choice at startup time.  Is it tested enough to be reliable yet?

I will likely load and test it anyway, but can it support an imaging session today?

John

Khalid Baheyeldin

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 06:03 PM, John Petterson wrote:

Is there any update on the status of the Master branch?  This information is a month old, I would like to switch to this  version to get the GEM/Alt-Azm choice at startup time.  Is it tested enough to be reliable yet?

I will likely load and test it anyway, but can it support an imaging session today?

It depends on your expectations ...

If you are looking for stability, then stay with the 3.x version, and probably the 4.x (beta) version.

The 5.x version (master) is always in flux with features added and such, which will occasionally introduce
bugs, break things that worked before, and such.

One reason to use master is to to help Howard with testing, but don't expect stability. It not even beta
quality in there, by design.