Topics

Wifi module dying randomly

"Guilherme Vênere

Hello all

I'm trying to debug an annoying issue I'm observing on my box with the Wifi module and I'd appreciate any help on where to look.

I have an Instein box running OnStep 3.16o and a ESP32 based SHC I built myself. I configured OnStep to connect to my home Wifi network so i can control things remotely, so it uses a fixed IP in my network instead of the default

Everything works fine in terms of tracking/goto, but almost every session at random times, when i try to connect to OnStep via web browser or connect via the control port from NINA/PhD2/Stellarium, the Wifi module stops responding.

On the web browser, if i go to http://10.0.0.253 (the internal IP i use), sometimes I get a connection timeout error, or I get a web server error saying the page i'm trying to access does not exist (for example /start.html)

Unfortunately the only way to recover from these situations is to reboot the box, which of course forces me to perform the alignment all over again.

This issue never happens when i'm actively using the connection, like during a guiding session, but only when I try to connect to the box after some idle time. And even when the Wifi module is dead, the SHC works fine without any issue, which means the OnStep box itself is working as expected.

So my questions:
- Is there any timeout code in OnStep that would cause the device to go into sleep/low power mode?
- I feel sometimes the wifi loose connection to my home network and that may cause the issue, but i don't see the OnStep SSID coming up in these cases
- Is there a way to force the wifi module to restart without losing the alignment module?

Any help here is appreciated

Guilherme

Khalid Baheyeldin

I don't think that the WiFi addon has timeouts that would cause your symptom.
It has been very stable for me over 2 years.

One thing to eliminate is interference from nearby access points. Run the WiFi Analyzer
app on an Android device to see what other access points are around and what channel(s)
they are on. See if any channel is conflicting with OnStep's WiFi.

As a workaround, if you can rewire the module so the 5V input to it has a small switch.
That way, you can restart only the WiFi module, rather than the full board.
Not sure how easy (or even feasible) it is with an Instein board though.

papagordygrapes@...

I had terrible reliability with the first Wemos Mini card.  Extremely sensitive to other WiFI access points around you.  And then the Android App UI would lock up during periods of connection problems making everything worse (frankly I'd be willing to help fix this if it were also open-source).

I recently dropped in a Wemos Mini Pro with external antenna.  So far so good!  So much better.  It has become a usable system for me again :-)

Henk Aling

I had terrible reliability with the first Wemos Mini card.  Extremely sensitive to other WiFI access points around you.  And then the Android App UI would lock up during periods of connection problems making everything worse (frankly I'd be willing to help fix this if it were also open-source).
I recently dropped in a Wemos Mini Pro with external antenna.  So far so good!  So much better.  It has become a usable system for me again :-)
I noticed the same with the Wemos D1 R32 when I tried their Wifi example.  Looking at the properties/connections on my cell phone, I see my router taking the place of OnStep all the time when I get a little bit too far away.  I don't know if you can configure the cell phone to ignore the router without deleting it (which I don't want to).  Altogether Bluetooth works very well for me, it has none of these problems (so long as I am not too close to my keyboard).