wifi not connecting

Martin Chapman

Hi Everyone, wondering if anyone can help. Last week everything seemed to work, could drive my steppers from Sky planetarium, or the app on my phone. figuring I was ready to mount it in a box and try it on my mount, I ordered some Bigtreetech TMC5160 drivers. I cut off the clk pin as advised, uploaded the new program, everything seems okay from Sky Planetarium, (well, RA spins the other way, but that's no hardship), Tried connecting with wifi, the phone says it's connected but the blue light just keeps flashing, and the app says not connected. I have tried reloading the wifi ad on to the wifi board, same result. Any idea what I must have done wrong? or could my wifi module have gone belly up for some reason?
Thanks in advance.
I am using the MKS GenL V2.0 board The drivers are Bigtreetech TMC5160 V1.2
Mart.

I used an MKS Gen L v2.0 board as well (but with TMC2209 drivers).  Here are my step by step instructions on how I did the Wemos D1 wifi module connection (located in the Files section of this forum).

https://onstep.groups.io/g/main/files/Documents/OnStep%20Construction%20Log_MKS%20Gen%20L%20v2.0_TMC2209.docx

Martin Chapman

Thanks Otto, I think you sent me this before, in fact, it was your instructions that I used to build my set-up. the problem is, the wifi worked before, now it doesn't, since I swapped the stepper drivers. My devices all say that the wifi is connected, but the blue light on the wifi board continues to flash. when I open the onstep app. it says there is no connection. very confusing.
Mart.

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 11:27 AM, Martin Chapman wrote:
but the blue light on the wifi board continues to flash
This is telling us that the WiFi is not seeing OnStep. The WiFi will not start until it has a connection with OnStep. What versions of OnStep and WiFi are you using? You don't say if you have reflashed the Wemos, but if have did you change anything in the WiFi settings?

Something may have happened to the connection. I would check the connections between the Wemos and the OnStep chip first. Power does not seem to be the problem. It looks like something has gone wrong in the Rx/Tx connections, since you say it was working before.

Martin Chapman

Hi Drew, thanks for the reply, sorry, being a bit thick here, how do I tell which versions of OnStep and WiFi I am using? I did try uploading the WiFi code again, with no success. I have seen something about wiping the board and starting again if you get locked out. Guess I should try that.
KR.
Mart.

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 4:59 PM Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️ <drewbolce@...> wrote:
On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 11:27 AM, Martin Chapman wrote:
but the blue light on the wifi board continues to flash
This is telling us that the WiFi is not seeing OnStep. The WiFi will not start until it has a connection with OnStep. What versions of OnStep and WiFi are you using? You don't say if you have reflashed the Wemos, but if have did you change anything in the WiFi settings?

Something may have happened to the connection. I would check the connections between the Wemos and the OnStep chip first. Power does not seem to be the problem. It looks like something has gone wrong in the Rx/Tx connections, since you say it was working before.

Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️

Look at the main files. There will be a version like this:

// firmware info, these are returned by the ":GV?#" commands
#define FirmwareDate          __DATE__
#define FirmwareVersionMajor  5
#define FirmwareVersionMinor  1       // minor version 0 to 99
#define FirmwareVersionPatch  "v"     // for example major.minor patch: 1.3c

in this case it is version 5.1v

WiFi.ino will have something like it also.

Try uploading again with the "erase all" option set for the hardware in Arduino IDE. You also might try uploading the latest "release-4.24 version" of the WiFi (without any alterations).

Martin Chapman

Ah, thanks Drew, here they are:
OnStep: 3.16 Q
WiFi: 1.12J

Mart.

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 6:48 PM Drew 🔭📷🚴‍♂️ <drewbolce@...> wrote:

Look at the main files. There will be a version like this:

// firmware info, these are returned by the ":GV?#" commands
#define FirmwareDate          __DATE__
#define FirmwareVersionMajor  5
#define FirmwareVersionMinor  1       // minor version 0 to 99
#define FirmwareVersionPatch  "v"     // for example major.minor patch: 1.3c

in this case it is version 5.1v

WiFi.ino will have something like it also.

Try uploading again with the "erase all" option set for the hardware in Arduino IDE. You also might try uploading the latest "release-4.24 version" of the WiFi (without any alterations).

Martin Chapman

Hi Drew, and everyone else who tried to help,  turns out, as I may have guessed, to have been an ID10T problem, when I uploaded the firmware following the driver change, I forgot to enable serial C, oops. all working well now, in fact, it's better, it also works off my tablet, which it never did before.
Thanks again.
Mart.