Topics

Wireless SmartHandController (ESP32 - SPP bluetooth)

Gildo Bosi

I recently made a wireless smarthandcontroller, enabling bluetooth communication on the ESP32 controller.
I share the information to modify the original project and obtain a wireless SHC (see zip attachment)

For those wishing to contribute to the project, it is necessary:
-Improve connection handshake. Now in case of disconnection it is necessary to turn the SHC off and on again (disconnection is rare, the connection is very stable if it remains within bluetooth range, about 5 .. 10 meters)
-Enable the ability to scan the devices present and store the last connected.
-Enable the possibility to change the pin, default 1234. It is now statically programmed within the Arduino libraries. The change is not easy, it requires storing an address <--> pin table.
Gildo

Tong

Hi Gildo Bosi
You've done a great job. I've been trying to implement this feature in vain.

Drew πŸ”­πŸ“·πŸš΄β€β™‚οΈ

Good work!

i am working on a version of this using BLE (Bluetooth low energy or Bluetooth 4.0) and the Wemos ESP32 version. The Wemos ESP32 is used because the ESP8266 does not have Bluetooth support. Also the SH-H3 has BLE support.

BLE is more difficult to understand and code but has many benefits over classic bluetooth. It can automatically connect/disconnect with the device. It is low power so battery issues almost disappear.

I have already developed an interface to a commonly available gamepad to make a basic+ controller. All that is required is to obtain a Wemos ESP32 module and the gamepad. Then load the ESP32 with the latest WiFi master firmware (with the additional bluetooth files) and replace the old Wemos ESP8266 with it.Β  Obviously this is for users who already have the Wemos WiFi interface.

The files are already over in the development group in the wiki. I can post them here if there is any interest in this approach.

Gildo Bosi

Your project is interesting. Using the Gamepad, is the ESP32 controller installed inside the stepper box that starts the connection and communication phase?

Gildo

Drew πŸ”­πŸ“·πŸš΄β€β™‚οΈ

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 03:21 PM, Gildo Bosi wrote:
is the ESP32 controller installed inside the stepper box that starts the connection and communication phase?
The ESP32 is part of the OnStep controller. Many of the OnStep controller designs use the Wemos D1 WiFi module for WiFi access. This is for those designs. I replace the Wemos with a newer ESP32 version for which Howard added support for earlier this year. This Wemos version is identical except that it uses a ESP32 instead of the ESP8266 chip. The ESP32 adds bluetooth support (as well as other capabilities). It is capable of operating Bluetooth BLE and WiFi simultaneously, a feature I exploit here.

Hi Gildo Bosi

Interesting with WIFI .. i have a HC-05 Bluetooth module.. will it work on this project?

Onstep BluePill boardΒ

Gildo Bosi

The ESP 32 of the smarthandcontroller is unable to communicate with the HC05 type module. It is necessary to replace the HC05 module with the SH-H3 (bluetooth module).
Gildo

Khalid Baheyeldin

If someone wants a Dick Tracy type hand controller (wrist controller, rather), there is an ESP32 watch module with a built in 1.13" OLED screen.

Finding a small enough battery that lasts the entire night may be a challenge.

Yeah, it is ugly, but no one will notice in the dark ...

Ant No

You can get it a bit cheaper than that particular one.

It is thick looking, but with a contoured 3d printed case you could improve the styling.

The screen would be a bit small for my old eyes but younger people or shortsighted people might like it.

AntπŸ‘£

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 04:25 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
If someone wants a Dick Tracy type hand controller (wrist controller, rather)
Interesting, but limited. It only has two buttons and a thumbwheel. However, when combined with the gamepad would be able toΒ  provide a complete SHC. Seems like this could lead to a "family" of wireless control options, somewhat like the family of controllers Here is a picture of the current gamepad I have coded.for.

A bit pricey for my taste, but probably equal to the expense of building a SHC from scratch. Certainly an option for the electronically impaired. All that would be needed is a 3D printed case. BTW, the screen is the same as the larger one on the SHC, so if it is too small then the SHC is not an option anyway.

Gildo Bosi

A slim version could be implemented using Odroid-Go.
The same ESP32 controller, it is necessary to implement the icons and menus in the code using the drivers of this color screen.

Drew πŸ”­πŸ“·πŸš΄β€β™‚οΈ

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 12:22 PM, Gildo Bosi wrote:
A slim version could be implemented using Odroid-Go.
The same ESP32 controller, it is necessary to implement the icons and menus in the code using the drivers of this color screen.
An interesting option for the "family" of wireless controllers. I have no idea how big a project implementing this as a Bluetooth/WiFi SHC would be, the devil is in the details. Seems to have potential though.

The cost is good but a quick search shows most are charging about double or more the $32 this vendor wants. However, if this is the "normal" price then it is definitely interesting.