Re: New OCS developments

koal01

Howard, here are some words around this new OCS design :

Much more capable on the software side with Teensy3.5 and W5500 for Ethernet.
Great ! i built the W500 component with a Teensy 3.2 this year for the Maxpcb in Onstep, it is very compact and works fine, is it the same than the one in onstep ?
As for the MCU, the mega 2560 is limited, the Teensy 3.5 or 3.6 will certainly bring a more stable solution, why not an ESP32 wich is cheaper and powerful as well ?
The SD card will now be directly on the MCU and not the ethernet shield, hope you won't have debugging extra job around charts

Switching voltage regulators for both 3.3V and 5V for respectable current supply levels on both of those rails.
Howard i can't see the level shifter is it downside on the pcb ?

This has 10 relays, 4 solid state (1A), 4 mechanical (16A), and 2 other "relays" that are high current n-channel MOSFETs for running large DC motors (like my roof motor.)  All are optically isolated.  It also has a header to allow plugging in a cheap eBay 8 channel relay module for expansion to 18 total relays.
Yes the 2 high current relays that i intend to use for moving my shelter which is on rails and not a roof opening shelter, i'll certainly use Nema 23 or 34 certainlu RE5 and RE6 ones i can see on your design

Provision for an BME280 onboard for inside TPH monitoring.The SPI interface has the correct pin order and orientation so the common eBay DS3234 RTC modules can plug right in.
Good, the Ntp time is not accurate in my current setup but i had to remove the DS3234 i initially installed as it was in conflict with the SD card on the ethernet shield using the same SPI interface

There are 12 total input channels, 6 digital only and 6 analog.  Most are current limited and ESD protected.
Good, many inputs for future needs

The I2C interfaces use RJ45 connectors so sensors can be plugged in using Cat5 Ethernet cables.  I settled on a scheme where 3.3V (or 5V on I2C 2) and +12V are present too for powering those sensors.
Nice, the RJ connectors are more reliable than Molex for that purpose, what kind of I2c component can work on 12 V ?

And there are two TTL serial interface
Can you give examples of TTL components on that interface ?

Many components can be ordered directly from LCSC which is associated with EasyEDA where this PCB was designed and will be ordered from
Good, when the PCB will be avalaible it would be nice to find easyly the components, some relays where not easy to find in the previous version, not your fault but manufacturers deciding to stop selling relays hard to find.

Other questions and observations :

Thank you for all these changes in this brand new design, very nice job !
The w5500 is a nice improvement and a so good heritage from an Onstep feature
Will there be any weather forecast feature integrated in OCS even through an API with a remote Weather solution ?
Some demands on the previous version like extending periods for charts will be possible in this design ?
Will the commands to query sensors remotely change, i'm python scripting them and it works nice so any changes will havee to be taken into account ?

Conclusion :
No words to qualify such an amazing sharing.

Thank you !